Thursday, August 5, 2010

Financial IQ: Credit cards – Are they our bane or boon?

Credit cardsImage via Wikipedia


I am among the majority of Philippines residents who own at least 1 credit card.  I have 2 cards, Citibank and American Express.  Although I have 2, I always only carry my Citibank card.  Not that I have the uncontrollable urge to keep on swiping credit card, but because I only want to keep my wallet relatively thin.

So are credit cards good for us or brings the worse in us?

I like swiping credit cards because of the following:
  • Convenience
  • Availment of rewards and/or rebates
  • Can buy big items without the need to bring lots of cash
  • Give 1-billing cycle term (mostly, 30-days term)
  • Gives us credit line
  • Ability to auto-charge utility bills
  • Incorrect charges can be disputed


If, however, used indiscriminately, disadvantages of credit cards are
  • Big late payment fees
  • Let the card holder thinks he has excess cash
  • Annual fees

Personally, I am happy that credit cards are available.  Here are some of the steps I follow religiously:
  • Only consider swiping the card when I have the funds available to immediately pay when the bill arrives.
  • Pay the entire amount due of the statement, not the minimum amount.
  • Lastly, I always pay on time.  In my case, I pay my credit card bill via a leading bank’s internet paying facility.
With proper financial IQ / literacy, you can take advantage of all the credit card reward programs.

How about you?  What are your experiences with credit cards?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment